Thank you for your interest in New Harbinger Publications employment opportunities.
Event Planner/Marketing Assistant
employment type: full-time
Praxis Continuing Education and Training, Inc., a subsidiary of New Harbinger Publications, a leading psychology book publisher, is looking for an event planner to join a growing team working to present high-quality training experiences to mental health professionals. This is a full-time position based in Oakland, CA.
Individuals in this position will help plan and conduct events ranging from one-day seminars to multi-day, multi-session conferences. Responsibilities of the position will include planning and scheduling events, locating venues, negotiating contracts with hospitality and service providers, monitoring event budgets, managing travel arrangements for contracted trainers, and providing logistical support at training events themselves.
This position will also include directed marketing tasks, including copywriting, direct outreach, selecting copy for blog materials, helping to coordinate blog publications, working within our content management system, researching additional marketing opportunities, and generally supporting our sales and marketing team to ensure our events are successful.
Prior experience in event planning or hospitality sales is desirable--but it's not strictly necessary. A willingness to learn and step into a fast-paced, detail-oriented job planning professional trainings is important; we can provide training and guidance in event planning.
Prior marketing experience is also a plus. This may include blog management, email newsletter management, social media development experience, copywriting, and so on. However, these skills are not essential to the position at the outset.
What is more important, is an interest in and an appreciation for what we do: provide high-quality training to behavioral health professions in areas of evidence-based psychotherapy. Bright people who are quick studies, driven, and highly organized are encouraged to apply. We are looking for people who like working with a dynamic, fast-moving, interactive team to bring trainings online rapidly and market them effectively. Most of us wear various hats in this organization, and we’ll expect you to do the same.
- Bachelor's degree in any area
- At least two years of experience in an administrative position that includes communication, record keeping, and detail management
- The ability to travel frequently, both domestically and internationally, as required (non-negotiable)
- A valid state-issued driver license and US passport
- The ability to work nights and weekends as required (non-negotiable)
- Familiarity with social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- References sufficient to demonstrate reliability, flexibility in a rapidly changing environment, and an aptitude for accuracy in detail work
- Reasonable proficiency with major office computer applications
- Some background or interest in psychology is a very strong plus
- Experience working in a corporate event-planning position, including building and managing relationships with hotels, conference centers, and other major hospitality providers (including negotiating hotel contracts and managing room blocks, attrition, F&B minimums, etc.) is a plus
- Must be able to commit to at least 2 years in the position
New Harbinger is a successful, employee-focused and employee-owned company with more than forty years of leadership experience in the publishing industry. This position will provide a competitive salary commensurate with experience and exceptional benefits including generous vacation, sick, and holiday allowances; medical, dental, and optical insurance; 401(k) and employee-stock ownership plan participation.
New Harbinger is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please follow these instructions carefully:
1. Email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your background and interest in the position as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Please include your salary requirements in your cover letter.
3. Please have the subject line of your email read "Event Planner Position," and leave the body of the email blank.
Applications will be accepted through Sunday, 6 August 2017.
All submissions will be acknowledged by email within two business days. If you don't receive an acknowledgment, please resend your email. Please do not call to follow up or check on your application. We will note the applications of any candidate who doesn't follow this instruction, and the notation will adversely affect the status of your application.
We'll begin reviewing applications the week of 7 August 2017. We will notify any candidates who are removed from consideration starting that week.
employment type: full-time
- Efficiently identify, acquire, and develop the required number of innovative, profitable new titles per year within the publisher’s niche
- Identify and keep abreast of trends in the book industry, behavioral sciences, clinical psychology (incl. evidence-based therapies such as CBT, ACT, DBT, and mindfulness-based therapies), and general spirituality
- Routinely and skillfully pitch proposed titles to the publication committee
- Negotiate contracts with authors and agents
- Act as author liaison, balancing author requests with the publisher’s goals
- Work collaboratively with the Editorial department to develop book concept and content
- Manage all relevant details of the book project from contract to publication, displaying ability to work on multiple projects at different stages of development
- Work closely with Marketing and Sales departments to develop initial marketing copy
- Cultivate positive and professional relationships with authors, agents, industry organizations, and company personnel
- Attend conferences to network, conduct research, and prospect new authors
- Work collaboratively in a team environment
- At least three to five years of experience as an Acquisitions Editor in non-fiction market
- BA in psychology preferred, or otherwise demonstrated ability to read and understand scientific research and methodology
- Proven developmental editing skill
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Skillful problem-solving, negotiation, and presentation skills
- Competitive, results-oriented, driven approach to your work
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Nielsen BookScan, and Firebrand’s Title Management databases preferred