Thank you for your interest in New Harbinger Publications employment opportunities.
Current openings are listed below.
Digital Publishing Assistant
New Harbinger Publications, Inc., a leading publisher of self-help, psychology, spirituality, and general trade non-fiction books is seeking an Digital Publishing Assistant to join our technology department. This is a full-time position based in Oakland, CA.
The successful candidate for this entry-level position will assist IT staff and work with personnel from other departments on a range of important, day-to-day projects. These will include administrative tasks such as producing reports, entering book-title information into databases, and using software tools to develop ebook editions of our published works. The position will also include a limited amount of organizational duties and some packing and shipping tasks for special events.
- Produce ebook editions (PDF and epub3) of our books using Adobe applications and online tools
- Track reports of typographic (and other) errors in titles, and make corrections to ebooks.
- Generate weekly sales reports of book retail sales using Microsoft Access
- Perform data entry and help maintain database of publication metadata
- Update websites using content management systems
- Assist with QA testing of websites
- Write/update documentation of business processes
- Assist IT personnel to provide basic IT support to users
- Additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
- At least one year of experience performing administrative work, preferably with an IT/web technology focus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- A basic knowledge of HTML and CSS
- An aptitude for technology in general and the interest and ability to learn new software and systems with a minimum of coaching and supervision
- The ability to communicate clearly both in writing and verbally
- Strong organizational and task management skills
- A strong commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- A strong work ethic; reliable and punctual
- A positive, affable, and flexible attitude and the ability to work well with a range of personality types
The following qualifications would be strong additions to a candidate’s resume:
- Experience with Adobe applications, especially InDesign and Acrobat
- Experience creating and/or maintaining data-driven websites with WordPress, Drupal, or other common CMSs
- Basic understanding of SQL (writing simple queries, functions, views, and stored procedures)
- Experience with Windows network administration and/or desk-level IT support
- Experience working with Crystal Reports
- Some background or interest in psychology
New Harbinger Publications, Inc., is an employee-owned company with deep connections to the behavioral-health community. The company has a firm and long-standing commitment to excellent employee quality of life. This position will provide a competitive salary commensurate with experience and exceptional benefits including generous vacation, sick, and holiday allowances; medical, dental, and optical insurance; 401(k) and employee-stock ownership plan participation.
New Harbinger Publications, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please follow these instructions carefully (pro tip: this position requires a strong attention to detail, so the successful candidate will start work here):
1. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Digital Publishing Assistant Position,” and leave the body of the email blank.
2. Include the following as attachments:(1) your resume; (2) a short yet thoughtful cover letter that describes your qualifications and explains your interest in the position.
3. Include your salary requirements in your cover letter (this is not optional).
4. Send your application by February 28, 2017.
All submissions will be acknowledged by email within two business days. If you don’t receive an acknowledgment, please resend your email. Please do not call to follow up or check on your application. Doing so will adversely affect the status of your application.
We’ll contact first-round candidates for interviews before March 10, 2017 . We’ll also let applicants who don’t advance to the first interview of our decision by that date.