Thank you for your interest in New Harbinger Publications employment opportunities.
Throughout our forty-year history, New Harbinger Publications has honed a reputation as the preeminent publisher of self-help, and psychology titles. From the outset our aim has been to publish books that are accessible, substantive, and, above all, useful.
Working for New Harbinger Publications you will enjoy a positive environment and a staff that thrives on teamwork, company values, and dedication. We are an employee-owned company and offer a generous benefits program.
- 401(k) with matching
- ESOP retirement plan
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Flexible spending account
- Tuition reimbursement
- Gym reimbursement
- Continuous career training through our HR learning portal and other live or online sources.
New Harbinger is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Open Position: Associate Data Analyst/Administrator
This position reports to the IT Director. Ours is a small department in which we tend to wear more than one hat. You will be responsible for the development and maintenance of ad-hoc and recurring business intelligence reports and dashboards. You will also help maintain product catalog metadata, sales and financial data and CRM databases. Working with cross-functional teams, you will thoroughly analyze and clarify report requirements, make recommendations, and educate when necessary, to meet business needs. Along with other IT members, you will work on creating and maintaining internal controls and reference materials to promote data quality.
- Work with stakeholders across the organization to understand information needs, define business requirements, and develop analytical models based on them.
- Integrate data across multiple sources as required by users and business needs, including the creation and delivery of weekly retail sales reports.
- Monitor and maintain internal and external data feeds.
- Investigate and report on potential new external data sources
- Edit and maintain reports from MSSQL/Crystal Reports.
- Assist in developing business intelligence reports and dashboards in Microsoft Power BI containing data visualizations that are useful, clear, and insightful for the target audience.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of ETL tools and processes.
- Assist in the on-going optimization and maintenance of databases/data systems both on-premises and cloud-based.
- Assist with the creation and updating of documentation of all data systems, processes, procedures, and create reference matter such as data dictionaries, code books, and report specifications
- Identify improvement opportunities across the board from manual procedures and automated process to new tools and technologies.
- A limited amount of data-entry drudgery.
- Help with other IT tasks.
- Keep learning stuff.
- Four-year degree preferably in Computer Science, Information Management, Statistics, or related field,
OR, Minimum of 2 years’ experience working as a data analyst, data programmer, database administrator, business intelligence analyst, or similar role.
- Strong knowledge of SQL/MS SQL, including queries, stored procedures, functions, etc.
- Experience with Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, Crystal Reports, Excel or other data visualization tools.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed to meet deadlines and deliverables.
- Comfortable collaboratively working with people across the organization, coaching end-users, and generally being a team player with positive attitude in order to build a data culture.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in MSSQL Management Studio.
- Familiarity with publishing industry applications such as Title Management and ACUMEN Book.
- Experience with Talend or other ETL tool.
- Experience programming for Microsoft Power BI in DAX, M, or R.
- Experience programming in Java or other modern computer language
- Experience with Reporting tools in Amazon VendorCentral, Google Analytics, Facebook IQ, NPD (Bookscan).
- Genuine interest in the publishing sector or mental health sector.
- A strong desire to take advantage of our career training benefits.
Job Type: Full-time
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Location: Oakland, CA (possibly remote)
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to HR@newharbinger.com with “Associate Data Analyst” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please. No recruiters.
This position is available as an in-house position based in Oakland, CA, or for the right candidate, as a remote work arrangement (within the US).